Fantom Important Notice
Last updated: 26 June 2023
This Important Notice provides you with important disclosures related to your use of and access to the Fantom Network or “Chain,” and to any parts of our Site, subject to the Terms and Conditions to which you are bound (at http://www.fantom.foundation/terms).
1. The Chain. The Fantom Opera Chain and its related Infrastructure and Components (each as defined below) (together, the “Chain”), is a decentralised, permissionless distributed ledger technology ecosystem with no single source of truth or central authority.
- 1.1. “Infrastructure” means, including but not limited to, the distributed ledger technology, virtual machines, compilers, storage mechanisms, application programming interfaces (“APIs”), wallets, and explorers.
- 1.2. “Components” means the composition of any software, records, smart contracts, functions, activities, or transactions deployed or recorded on the Chain or using the Infrastructure.
2. Control of the Chain. Fantom has no control whatsoever over the Chain. Ecosystem partners and community members contribute to the development of the Chain and to its ongoing operations by maintaining the software code and network infrastructure required for the Chain to function.
3. Intellectual Property. The intellectual property supporting the Chain is owned by Fantom Foundation (“Fantom”, “us”, “we” or “our”), and we release this intellectual property on an open source licence to the community at large under the Community Terms (at https://github.com/Fantom-foundation). The community may use the Chain for many purposes, including but not limited to independently engage in transactions, use or support decentralised applications (“dApps”) and deploy smart contracts.
4. Our Participation. Fantom actively participates in the Chain community through grants, seed funding, and other programs and uses and engages with a range of services, such as the technical, advisory and commercial services provided by Fantom Operations Ltd. We may generate revenue from some of these activities. The following are some ways we may participate in the Chain and supporting ecosystem:
- 4.1. Fantom (either itself or by assisting its partners) funds, promotes, and encourages the development of software, such as smart contracts, dApps, subnets, APIs, utilities, upgrades, bridges to other blockchains and wallet software.
- 4.2. Fantom may stake tokens, operate nodes or validators, and provide various community resources and content.
- 4.3. Fantom and its employees and affiliates may engage in transactions involving the Chain’s native token, known as the “FTM token”, as well as other tokens or digital assets associated with the Chain or third-party dApps.
5. Disclaimer. Fantom has no inherent or independent power to add to, alter, or interfere with the Chain’s data, software, or smart contracts. Fantom is not responsible for, and makes no representation, guarantee, undertaking, or warranty, whether expressed or implied, in relation to the Chain. Neither Fantom nor any of its partners or service providers are liable for any actions, proceedings, claims, damages, expenses, or other liabilities, whether in contract, tort, or otherwise, arising from or related to the Chain or related software, content, or activities.
6. Your Acceptance of Risks. You acknowledge and accept that any interaction you have with the Chain is at your own risk, and you are additionally subject to and understand and accept all other associated risks such as ownership expectations, technology risk, token risk and market risk as described in clause 4 (Assumption of risks) in our Supplemental Wallet Terms. You further represent that you understand and agree to each of the following:
- 6.1. Your use of any product or service offered by any third party in relation to the Chain is at your own risk.
- 6.2. It is your responsibility to ensure your Chain-related activities comply with all applicable laws, rules, and contractual obligations, including compliance with all terms, conditions, software licenses, specifications, or programming associated with any services or materials you use.
- 6.3. You will do your own research and due diligence before using or interacting with the Chain, and you will stay informed of relevant updates and developments.
- 6.4. The following facts and risks are completely outside our control:
- a. FTM is required by users to pay fees associated with transactions on the Chain (“Gas”) and may be used as a medium of exchange on the Chain;
- b. dApps running on the Chain that are developed by ecosystem partners may require the use of tokens, and we bear no responsibility whatsoever for the functioning or use of or any tokens, whether native or other non-native, on the Chain.
- c. FTM is not intended for investment, and no action, notice, communication, or omission should be understood or interpreted as anything to the contrary. Use of FTM on the Chain is to be limited to cases of consumptive utility, where they are exchanged for virtual machine computing power or any other goods and services accessible through the Chain, including, wherever relevant, any access to, or assertion of rights to participate in, governance functions.
- d. Interacting with the Chain, using your Wallet, or using or engaging with any digital assets or other tokens, including FTM and any non-native tokens, pose significant risks related to ownership expectations, technology, tokens, market factors, regulatory landscape, and security, as defined further in Section 4 of the Supplemental Wallet Terms (at www.fantom.foundation/wallet_terms).
7. Your Responsibilities. It is solely your responsibility to maintain the confidentiality of your private keys associated with your public key blockchain address and your passwords providing for access to any wallet software you may use or other Infrastructure or Components of the Chain. You are likewise responsible for restricting access to your devices. Only you are responsible for any harm or damage resulting from your disclosure of, or authorisation to disclose, your private keys, passwords, or other credentials, or for allowing any person to access your devices. You acknowledge that, in the event of any related harm or damage, we will be unable to remedy any issues that arise. Additionally, only you are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programs, and security systems as necessary for you to access and use the Chain.
8. Chain-Related Content. Any reference to a third party or reproduction of a third party’s information, content, or material within or accessible through the Chain are meant only for informational purposes. We do not intend to include all material information regarding the Fantom ecosystem or the FTM token, and you should not rely on us or any Chain-related information, content or material for or as financial advice. Given that any Chain-related information, content, or material may be added to the Chain and viewed by any user, no person is able to warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any of the information, content, or material. You, like every other person interacting with the Chain, should not rely on Chain-related information, content, or material, and nor should any other person who may have access to this information, content, or material.