Fantom General Update | December 14 2020
Liquid staking is live
Unlock the value of your staked FTM by minting sFTM in a 1:1 ratio and using it as collateral to mint synths.
With Liquid staking, you can earn staking rewards using synthetic assets on Fantom or Ethereum (once bridges are in place), for example for providing token liquidity.
Liquid staking vastly improves capital efficiency for Fantom users and at the same time network security stays high as delegators need to pay back sFTM to unlock their staked FTM. Fantom is proud to be the first layer-1 blockchain launching Liquid staking.
14 new synthetic assets are live on Fantom
You can now use wFTM and sFTM (staked Fantom) as collateral to mint fourteen new synthetic assets on Fantom Finance.
Band Protocol provides high-quality price feeds in real-time for Fantom’s synths.
- Fiat currencies: fUSD, fGBP, fCNY, fEUR, fKRW, fJPY, fCHF
- Cryptocurrencies: fBTC, fETH, fLINK, fBAND, fBNB
- Precious metals: fGold, fSilver
- Oil: fWTI
FTM holders can participate in Marlin FlowMint and earn MPOND
Starting December 14, Fantom holders can claim a share of 20% MPOND in Marlin’s StakeDrop.
Fantom joins Cosmos, Iris, Polkadot, Matic, and NEAR in participating in FlowMint, a mechanism to distribute Marlin tokens (MPOND) amongst token holders of different blockchains who stake towards eligible validators.
Fantom SFC update completed
We upgraded the SFC (Special Fee Contract) that handles the staking rewards. This allows for awesome new features like Liquid staking, which you can use now.
SFC upgrade completed successfully!
Now the Fantom network is ready for some cool new releases that will come #fSoon!
Undelegations work as usual and we're building the front end to allow withdrawals from offline validators. $FTM
— Fantom Foundation (@FantomFDN) December 9, 2020
Fantom network stats
Many of you are already using our newly released liquid staking feature. 94 million sFTM have already been minted and can be used to mint synthetic assets.
- The year is coming to a close and the industry is looking into 2021 optimistically. Here are two reports by Messari and Delphi Digital on where crypto could be heading in the next year.
- A well-written piece by RektHQ about how stablecoins threaten fiat currencies and make regulations by governments more likely. This shows the need for decentralized stablecoins that are more resilient to attacks from the outside.
- Watch the Virtual DeFi summit on December, 16. The lineup is impressive, with the top bosses of DeFi (Aave, Synthetic, Compound, Maker and others) joining as speakers.
A new validator has joined the Fantom family!
Welcome Stakely 🚀
Thank you for your support in making the network even more decentralized.